Monday, July 19, 2010

The Week Before Wedding Week

We're officially in pre-Wedding Week. The next two weeks will be eventful, to say the least. I gotta be upfront, this blog is as much for me as any of you, because somehow I gotta keep all this crap I have to do straight!

This weekend we spent most of our time working on mom and dad's house, continuing the neverending tasks of home improvements to my parents' house that my mom insists needs to be done before the wedding. I love my parents' house. I think it's beautiful the way it is, but my mom's perfectionist nature (and many hard man hours of labor) have really made all the difference in the world. Saturday morning, Mom and I went to Erin's Meadow Herb Farm to pick up some new stuff for the flowerbeds and planters. If you've never been there, you should really check it out. They have an awesome variety of very well cared-for plants and they are SUPER cheap! I can't wait to have a house so we can add some unique stuff from their nursery to our own yard, and maybe even start a garden! (Ambitious for me, I know...)

As of the 13th of this month, my parents have been married 25 years. Yesterday they renewed their vows at church with my whole family there (much to my mom's surprise!). I have to hand it to my dad. He's a very busy man, and definitely not the most sentimental or smoothest guy in history, but he really pulled this together at the last minute in the midst of all the wedding chaos, and my mom was genuinely touched. As I said, my whole family came to the service and then we went out and celebrated afterwards. Of course, in my Italian Catholic family, celebrated means we went out to eat a huge meal. Then my mom and Erin and I went shopping with my aunts at the mall. I'm not sure we had enough time to justify taking the time to do this, but I got my dress for the bachelorette party, so I was satisfied!

Later on, I finally got some time to finish a pretty cool project I had taken on that was initially meant for tailgating season, but in light of the fact that we're having a huge party at my house for my out of town family the day after the wedding, I was really hoping to get them done in time for that. Last year, my dad and I built some regulation cornhole boards and I painted them, using my Vol spirit as inspiration. Well, they were a huge hit at all of our tailgates, and were used so often that they required sanding and repainting before the new season starts. And then I got to thinking, wouldn't it be fun to have two sets and be able to have side-by-side competitions going on? Tyson didn't want two sets with the same design, so I got the idea to paint the new set as Tennessee state flags. I'm pretty crafty, or at least I like to think I am, but somebody please slap me if I ever get the bright idea to do such a difficult design again! Do you know how hard it is to cut painter's tape into perfect circles and proportional stars? Needless to say, this project took FOREVER, but I'm glad to say the boards turned out great! Here's a not-so-great pic because I took it with my not-so-great phone:


Tonight, Tyson and I have ballroom dance lessons to help prepare us for our first dance! I'm really excited about this. I have absolutely no rhythm whatsoever and I need all the instruction I can get. Also I have no balance, so attempting this in 3-inch heels and a heavy dress should be rather entertaining for my guests.
 
Tomorrow, Tyson is moving out of his apartment and officially moving into mine. This shouldn't take too long, considering I've taken inventory of his stuff and come to the conclusion that we can live without the majority of it.
 
Wednesday I have NOTHING wedding related to do (praise God), and I have an easy work day. My whole office is going to this "Get Motivated" seminar in downtown Knoxville that lasts the whole day. Speakers include Rudy Giuliani, Zig Ziglar, Colin Powell, Lou Holtz, and local favorites Bruce Pearl and Pat Summitt. Honestly, I'm pretty excited. A day out of the office, and lunch at Calhoun's on the River, compliments of my awesome boss? Yes, please!
 
Nothing scheduled for Thursday yet, keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way!
 
Friday is Wing Night at Sequoyah, and the unofficial start of the bachelor/bachelorette parties. Saturday is when it really begins, starting with my Bridesmaid's Luncheon, which is really not a luncheon, at Bath Junkie in Turkey Creek. This is another place you've GOT to go to if you've never been. You can create your own scents for tons of bath products, like sugar scrubs, lotions, bath salts, and so much more. It's one of the coolest places I've ever been to!
 
After our mini-party, it's off to Bonefish for a fancy dinner with the girls, and then into the city for a night on the down and a naughty last-night-as-a-single-girl checklist that can't have a single item unchecked! Ok, it's not that naughty, but for conservative me, it pushes my boundaries just enough! I'm so excited for a last hoorah with my girls before the big day!
 
Well that finishes off this busy week, then it's on to the next: Wedding Week, in all it's glory. Chances of me having time for another post before then? Worse than the chances of me NOT falling during tonight's dance practice.

1 comment: